Technology Blog #2 - Connected Learning Communities in the Work Environment

 

 
    Chapter 6 of The Connected Educator by Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Lani Ritter Hall, highlights the essential role that personal learning networks (PLNs) play in professional development. The chapter begins by talking about early attempts to form online learning communities, showing how these efforts connected educators across different professions and even in different countries. The connection that the author made with a government employee in Edmonton, Canada through these PLNs evolved so much that she even visited their town. By joining these networks, educators could "leverage deeper connections and relationships" (pg. 92) to foster their growth and stay informed about best practices and educational innovations. 

    The chapter emphasizes that while it is impossible to know everything in today's fast-changing world, "knowledge, learning, and innovation can be managed within virtual networks" (pg. 92). These networks, according to the authors, are not only about gathering information but also about engaging with others to deepen learning and share expertise. In this sense, PLNs become powerful tools for collaboration, where ideas can be exchanged, refined, discussed, and even applied in real-world context. Educators become part of a bigger community that creates fresh and interesting ideas for their classrooms. Chapter 6 says that the way new ideas flow through these networks triggers something new for other people. For example when trying to brainstorm new ways of teaching, having another perspective can help to foster an engaging and fun activity for your students. These interactions help teachers stay responsive to their students needs. 

    As I prepare for a career in teaching, building a strong PLN will be so helpful for staying updated on teaching methods, new technology, and give me a broader scope on fresh classroom ideas. By connecting with educators of various backgrounds and specialties, I can gain different perspectives to keep my classroom engaging. These professional and personal relationships, as the author suggests, can help me better navigate the challenges I will inevitably face in education. Developing these connections will ensure that I remain flexible and informed, allowing me to offer my future students the best learning experiences. 

Nussbaum-Beach, Sheryl, and Lani Ritter Hall. The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age. Solution Tree Press, 2012.







Comments

  1. The example of interacting with someone in Canada is a really good example.. It demonstrates the reach and creative potential of these networks. Having a strong professional learning network (PLN) will undoubtedly help you stay motivated and up to date on new teaching techniques as you prepare for your teaching career.

    As you begin your teaching career, how do you want to maintain a lively and interesting environment with the people in your professional learning network?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is also going into teaching I would say that a PLN isnt just helpful, but necessary in our world today. I believe that having an outreach not only with people in your district or county but people in other states and even countries can benefit us so much more then we would have thought years ago. Also I love the pictures you put!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gia,
    I think that a strong Personal learning network is most important in the education system. The reason I feel this way has a lot to do with everything you shared but mainly about the evolution of technology and this new generation. Many things are changing within the education system as far as methods, and technology. You're right on par. It is important for our teachers to continue to collaborate and build a strong like-minded approach to education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you emphasized that PLNs are not just about gathering information but also about collaboration and idea-sharing. Chapter 6’s point about new ideas flowing through networks and sparking innovation is so true. Engaging with others can definitely lead to fresh, exciting approaches that improve how we teach and respond to students’ needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your motivation to connect with teachers of various backgrounds and specialties will ultimately expand your understanding of education and benefit every student you ever have! I love to hear about upcoming teachers that are open minded and work to keep their curriculum engaging. I feel that if you continue to broaden your horizons and use your PLN to navigate those inevitable problems everyone runs into, you will be a top-notch educator. How has Stockton helped you to develop your connections aside from in person classes?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Smackdown #1 - Padlet

Technology Blog #4 - Collaborative Cultures in Teaching